Oil Plus 2C is a natural, plant-based hardwax oil wood finish that is suitable for tables, chairs, desks, and other furniture. It is based on a unique molecular bonding technology, is 0% VOC and provides color (if desired) and protection in one single layer. It provides a matte-finish that keeps the wood's natural look and feel. Oil Plus 2C is available in 50+ standard colors.
Once Oil Plus 2C is applied to the wood furniture, a molecular bond occurs within 3-5 minutes, then all excess is removed within 10-15 minutes. We will cover this in more depth as we walk through the preparation, application, and clean up processes.
Things used to apply Oil Plus 2C to furniture
- Sanding machines and sandpaper
- Raw Wood Cleaner
- Oil Plus 2C
- Paint can opener
- Mixing container
- Stir stick
- Applicator Set
- Supply of clean terry cloths/towel
- Nitrile gloves
- Water filled metal can with a lid for safe disposal of oil-contaminated rags and pads.
How to apply Oil Plus 2C to furniture
If you prefer video, we have an application video outlining the entire process. If you prefer to read, continue down the page.
- Sand the surface according to industry guidelines. Proper sanding is critical for a professional result. The surface needs to be evenly sanded, especially when applying colors. We recommend a final 120 grit abrasive.
- Vacuum the surface.
- Clean the surface using Raw Wood Cleaner. The technology of Oil Plus 2C enables it to make a molecular bond with the wood fibers in 3-5 minutes. If dust is present, the oil will bond to the dust instead of the wood fibers, creating microscopic paste on the
- Allow to dry (approximately 15-60 minutes).
- Shake or stir the Oil Plus 2C Part A container well to suspend any settled pigment.
- Pour the required amount of Oil Plus 2C Part A into a mixing container.
- Add Part B at a ratio of 3:1 (A:B).
- Stir thoroughly.
- If using multiple cans, mix all cans together. Keep in mind, once mixed, you have 4-6 hours to use the product.
- Apply Oil Plus 2C to the surface using an Applicator Set. Work in sections that allow you
to apply the oil and remove the excess within 15 minutes.
- Allow 3-5 minutes from time of application for Oil Plus 2C to molecularly bond with the wood.
- Using a clean terry cloth/towel, remove the excess oil within 10-15 minutes. If needed, remove excess oil from v-grooves, bevels, and holes by hand.
- Perform a final wipe with clean terry cloth/towel, ensuring ALL excess is thoroughly removed.
- If necessary, continue working in sections that you can finish and remove excess within 10-15 minutes
- Tools can be cleaned using Raw Wood Cleaner.
- Dispose of rags and oil saturated materials in accordance with local regulations.
- Under favorable application and drying/conditions, the furniture may be lightly used or handled after approximately 24-36 hours.
- After 48 hours, the oiled furniture is approximately 80% cured.
- Full cure takes place within approximately 5 days.
- Do not tape directly to a Rubio Monocoat oiled surface.
- If the furniture was water-popped, we recommend using a red pad to help knock down the grain.
- Do not apply more oil to a section of the furniture than can be managed within about 15 minutes. If the oil gets too sticky during the removal process, you should do smaller, more manageable sections.
- Do not use liquids for cleaning on the finished furniture until fully cured (5 days). Only vacuum or dry dust the furniture during this time.
- After fully cured, follow the recommended care instructions (coming soon!).
- Do not use any cleaners other than Surface Care Spray.
- Decor, cushions, pillows, etc... may be replaced after the final cure.